Share this job
WEAR TEST MANAGER
At NIKE, it’s all about the athlete. Footwear Product Testing works with NIKE’s creation teams to test new innovative footwear to ensure that it fits and performs up to the highest standards. As our Product Testing Manager, you will lead all aspects of footwear product testing and insights gathering; including planning, recruiting testers, running tests, analyzing data, report writing and program management. You'll use your understanding of footwear’s manufacturing processes combined with your understanding of the athlete to offer suggestions to the product team regarding material, component and construction options to meet the product's performance goals. You’ll specify the performance issues that need attention prior to production.
The job entails spending large amounts of time with the athletes, and applicants need to be comfortable with frequent travel and not spending their full days at a desk. Applicants should be comfortable in a locker room/courtside setting and be able to easily relate to athletes. Knowledge of product creation is desired. Proven ability to follow a process flow is required.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Partner with Footwear Product Testing & category teams to develop comprehensive test plans for new NIKE projects.
- Conduct tests to ensure the fit, performance & durability of Jordan footwear concepts.
- Strategically recruit and build relationships with athletes – This includes building connections with other key influencers such as coaches, managers, bio mechanists, physios, retail partners, etc.
- Lead feedback sessions to compile and analyze performance and athlete insights.
- Deliver insights to inform and inspire some of Nike’s most innovative technologies and products through the voice of the athlete.
- Additionally, you will gain an understanding of Footwear construction and manufacturing processes to improve the quality and depth of recommendations to the product team.
- Manage other Footwear Testing Analysts.
- Manage a team of 2
- Bachelor’s degree. There is no restriction on actual degrees, but critical thinking skills are a must. Fields such as Biomechanics, Sports Training, Engineering, or Sciences are preferred, but not required. 4 years related experience in lieu of a degree
- 5 + years' relevant work experience, at least 2 years' work experience in the footwear industry is desired.
- Proven mentorship skills on technical subjects.
- Demonstrated leadership experience is essential.
- Strong capacity to analyze trends and make recommendations. Experience gathering and communicating consumer insights preferred. Demonstrated ability to improve and implement new processes.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of product development process. Understanding of footwear components, materials, and inline production processes is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Native Chinese writing/speaking/reading/listening is required. Strong English is a must. The job requires frequent written and oral communicating with global counterparts in other countries, in addition to frequent test report writing.
- Enthusiastic Communicator. This job’s success relies on strong communication skills, either with athletes, coaches or NIKE colleagues.
- A Good Listener and patient for athletes. Many younger athletes are not good at expressing the thought in a logical way, so patience is needed in the conversation.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule. Some weartest teams train in the evening(6-8pm). Almost all the college players have class to take in day times, so the best time to connect with them (WeChat/Phone/Visit) is later afternoon or evening. 30-40% of the working hours WILL NOT be within 8am-5pm.
- Detail-orientated. Able to analyze test information and subjective feedback in a concise and understandable manner.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, database and statistical analysis procedures.
- Physical ability to lift samples. Testing Manager will work alone while traveling. Lifting/moving the samples and walking up/down stairs are needed.
- Must able to handle dirty and smelly shoes to conduct durability inspection.
- A strong desire to learn and expand their current skills set.
- Passion for sports. Testing Manager doesn’t need to have played at a high level, but sports knowledge and ability to relate to athletes/coaches is a must.
- Passion for product. Not necessarily shoes, but the desire to make the best product possible.
- 2 years' experience in footwear industry, product testing, development, marketing, engineering, retail, customer service or some combination is preferred.
- Travel is required.