Finance Manager, Inventory Accounting
Tokyo , Japan, Japan
Job Function: Finance & Accounting
Date published: 7-Mar-2017
About the Finance team
Today, the opportunities for growth across Nike's business portfolio offer more potential than ever.
Nike Finance employees play a key role in that progress by identifying and capitalizing on opportunities to drive value for every Nike shareholder. They manage accounting and reporting for Nike's multi-billion-dollar global investment portfolio, debt and equity instruments, and other Treasury activities. They strategize, forecast, audit, analyze, budget, research and lead important decisions. Across Nike's diverse geographies and businesses, Finance employees deliver far more than just the numbers.
About the role
As a member of the Japan DS2P (Direct-Source-To-Pay) team, you will take a lead role in the continuous improvement of inventory accounting processes and control environment to enable Nike's ongoing growth.
- Drive continuous improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of the team's monthly and quarterly accounting and financial reporting processes and ensure timely and accurate month/quarter-end closing and reporting
- Manage, coordinate, and perform financial reporting and internal control processes related to; complex and judgmental journal entries, including NRV/obsolescence and Intercompany Profit Elimination, P&L and B/S flux analysis, account reconciliations for higher-risk areas and quarterly management and external reporting.
- Work as part of a dedicated team to ensure key financial assertions are met with respect to Inventory, COGS, and related accounts through development/maintenance of a comprehensive control structure across the transaction stream(s), understanding the processes that ultimately results in the recognition of Inventory, COGS, and related accounts
- Develop high profile, influential, and collaborative relationships across teams, functions, and layers of the business while demonstrating mastery of US GAAP, particularly around Inventory and COGS
- Partner with the Nike's Strategic Enterprise Capability (SEC) team to define and incorporate supply chain accounting requirements into Nike's new ERP solution
- Work closely with Finance Planning team and the Operation team to enable new business strategies and optimize/enhance accounting processes and participate in the development of DS2P Controlling's strategic objectives and proactively set targets/ measurables to enable the team's success in achieving those goals
- Be a subject matter expert on assigned areas, supporting Internal & External Audit and internal control work and, as a leader within the larger NIKE Finance and Controlling Organization, develop, embrace, and create/deliver best practice and new accounting policies.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance or related field.
- A minimum 5-7 years of experience in accounting, finance or related functions. Big 4 Public accounting experience and/or Certified Public Accountant is required. Extensive US GAAP experience and technical knowledge round Inventory/ COGS preferred.
- Proven success in developing organization operating standards/processes as well as supporting documentation.
- High standards for quality and the ability to handle multiple, competing priorities and requests; ability to innovate and navigate through ambiguity.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and experience with SAP preferred.
- Proven ability to problem solve and effectively communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts.
- Strong communication (verbal and written) in both in Japanese and in English and stakeholder engagement skills with an ability to effectively communicate status, issues, and risks with senior leadership team and influence across a large, global matrixed organization.