Share this job
Accountant – Strategic Investment & SG&A
Tokyo, Japan, Japan
"Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Like any winning team, Nike’s Corporate Functions team depends on a diverse set of skills to operate at peak performance. Those skills span many disciplines across Nike’s Corporate Functions, including Facilities, Child Development, Administrative Support and Aviation. While roles range from pilots to security specialists to teachers, one thing remains constant: the teams deliver exceptional experiences and services at Nike locations around the world.
About the Finance team
Today, the opportunities for growth across Nike's business portfolio offer more potential than ever.
Nike Finance employees play a key role in that progress by identifying and capitalizing on opportunities to drive value for every Nike shareholder. They manage accounting and reporting for Nike's multi-billion dollar global investment portfolio, debt and equity instruments and other treasury activities. They strategize, forecast, audit, analyze, budget, research and lead important decisions. Across Nike's diverse geographies and businesses, Finance employees deliver more than just the numbers.
About the Role
As our Accountant – Strategic Investment & SG&A, you'll be an important member of our Controlling team that will develop efficient and well controlled processes around fixed asset and endorsement accounting.
Based in Tokyo, this role will report to Accounting Manager, and will require some travels within Asia and Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon.
- Work with global capital expenditure team to help to implement our capital expenditure strategy to support Nike’s accurate financial reporting and control.
- Work with global Strategic Investment & SG&A team to help to implement our Endorsement (Sports marketing) strategy to support Nike’s accurate financial reporting and control.
- Maintain and enforce balance sheet review and reconciliation best practices for all legal entity (not limited to capital expenditure and endorsement) as well as GL maintenance for Prepaid, Tax, Accrued Liability, etc.
- Ensure proper segment classification for complex matters (arrangement, contract, CAPEX vs. OPEX etc.) in accordance with company’s accounting policy
- Drive continuous improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of accounting processes and financial reporting
- Partner with Financial Planning team and other key stakeholders to inform accounting consideration for investment and day to day operation
- Be an active member of the larger NIKE Controlling Organization and embrace best practices
- Partner with our Compliance team to design well controlled processes
- Ensure Statutory Financial creation including GAAP adjustment (US & JGAAP)
- Ensure full tax compliance for the company to corporation tax, Consumption Tax and other taxes. Includes ensuring accurate and appropriate tax treatment in all areas, timely tax returns and submissions, as partnering with our external tax advisors
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- 5+ years of experience in accounting, finance, or related field at a multi-national company
- Public accounting experience and a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is strongly preferred
- Fluency in both Japanese and English (minimum TOEIC 750+)
- Foundation in accounting, US GAAP, Japan GAAP and Local Tax
- Audit & Tax correspondence
- ERP system/SAP highly preferable
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Transformative and forward thinking with lean mind set