Director - Chemical Engineering
Ho Chi Minh City , Vietnam, Vietnam
Nike is always on the move. We are driving a new offense that allows us to serve our consumer faster, more personally, and at scale. We are accelerating our greatest opportunities and putting decision-making closer to the consumer so we can move at the speed of the market. We are looking for a leader passionate about our athletes and committed to delivering game changing innovation at speeds never thought possible.
- Manage a team of chemical engineers and set team/individual goals that are aligned with department, country, regional, and functional objectives.
- Coach and mentor staff as well as plan and collaborate with HR for their individual development.
- Collaborate in hiring decisions, drive performance management, and execute recognition and rewards.
- Lead and inspire the team to develop, innovate and implement progressive chemical initiatives, processes, and standards.
- Implement defined functional standard protocol and lead chemical engineering work in product creation, innovation, and sustainability that elevates Nike product.
- Collaborate with a variety of specialized teams at NIKE to ensure that new foam compounds, rubber formulations, and adhesive introductions meet schedule with no chemical related issues.
- Be an active member of the functional management team working closely with the Engineering Operations Director and the Global Chemical Engineering Director to develop a short and long-term agenda for the chemical engineering function in Vietnam.
- Work with Vietnam development teams, regional product teams, NIKE Innovation, and NIKE Manufacturing Revolution in the development of best practices and implementation of new technologies.
- Lead local and regional chemical initiatives in our effort to modernize factories and deliver production efficiencies.
Requirements of the position include:
- Bachelors or Masters in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Polymers, or other related sub-specialty field and minimum of 8-10 years directly relevant work experience.
- Proven experience in strategic planning and application of business initiatives in a technical environment.
- Footwear experience preferred. Experience in other related industries like tires, polyurethane, plastics manufacturing, etc. may also be considered.
- Strong motivational leadership and leadership qualities demonstrated in product creation/development and manufacturing environment.
- Possess strong understanding in all facets of product creation/commercialization to include innovation, design, development, research, engineering, materials, and manufacturing.
- Proficient problem solver with an innate ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Proven capability to work collaboratively with multiple groups in NIKE’s matrix organization to promote, drive and execute the team’s objectives.
- Ability to lead multiple complex projects at one time and prioritize work according to potential impact with agility to switch priorities as circumstances require.
- Demonstrated skill at leading teams of highly qualified and specialized individuals with diverse expertise and nationalities.
- Must have strong customer focused, collaborative approach to work and give clear direction to team members and factory partners.
- Effective project and resource management experience with a proactive approach to team specific issues.
- Fast learner and possess a strong work ethic.
- Strong English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to travel internationally.