Converse-Retail Planning Director
Shanghai , China, China
In concert with the planning organization, optimize revenue and profits for Converse China and our retailers, by applying standard retail sales and marketplace management principles. This position will focus primarily on the mid/short range retail planning process, specifically the link between the business planning seasonal account plans and merchandising created assortments, leveraging deep in-season retail performance analysis, to highlight opportunities and manage risks.
- Building upon business planning's seasonal unit/volume template, translate the opaque into color. Bring product specificity to the high-level volume based range plan document. Relying heavily upon retail sales performance, analyze in-season data to determine positive and negative performers across category, gender, account, and region to inform future assortment adjustments to capitalize on this knowledge. Proactively highlight current period inventory risk to the G2N team, ensuring visibility to marketplace MD/RTV possibilities. This is planning in the short range, requiring deep knowledge of material level product information.
- Leverage sell-through tracking database, including prior year, current year plan, and current year actual, at a door/material level. Develop KPI’s to track key programs, models, or themes, to validate the long/mid/short-range planning processes effectiveness. Proactively utilize results-to-plan to refine go-forward assortments, capitalizing on knowledge gained from analysis. Communicate product performance to merchandising and business planning, ensuring latest results are informing future season development requirements and stock/sales models.
- Develop seasonal, quarterly, and monthly plans that create a match between the business planning indicated unit/volume budgets of our retail partners and the merchandising directed assortments, through analysis of marketplace trends, risks, and opportunities. Advise of any assortment gaps. Analyze account door types, to find and define commonality within the doors, and to determine whether cluster data can inform on the consumer type within the group. Ensure account and marketplace differentiation within geographic clusters, based upon target customer profiles and account door type. As this is more in the mid-range planning cycle, planning at the model level is appropriate.
- In conjunction with Business and Retail Planning Director, contribute to the overall China market strategy from a product performance perspective. Define our point of view on key product candidates (top/bottom performers, emerging trends) that best support our long-term market objectives and promote Converse’s brand architecture. Ensure alignment with sales management through defined strategic plans for key market drivers. Optimize market/channel strategy through robust strategic, seasonal, and monthly reviews across key partners. Maximize success by linking overall product strategy to seasonal goals (revenue, diversity, and profit) for the commercial team. Provide regular updates and defined KPIs on progress versus strategy to commercial and senior management.
- Master’s degree in Business, Marketing, Sales, or equivalent.
- 7-10 years of business planning/merchandising footwear experience required.
- Good working knowledge of the footwear industry and trends in the marketplace
- 3-5 years of managing multiple direct reports
- Prefer a solid understanding of the Converse product lines.
- Must be able to develop an understanding of the customers, competitors and retail trends.
- Must be able to use sales financial data to make decisions and maximize account profitability.
- Must be able to develop and recommend seasonal assortments.
- Must be able to understand business issues, find creative ways to solve problems, and make sound decisions that benefit Converse.
- Must be able to develop and maintain fair and honest relationships at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Must have the ability to influence and persuade business partners to take desired action.
- Must have good communication skills, including the abilities to elicit information, actively listen, dialogue freely, and verbalize ideas effectively.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with clear, concise written messages through memos, e-mails and reports.
- Must be results orientated and make constant progress towards and achieve goals.
- Must consistently meet deadlines.